Church history

St James the Great Church Bierton

Records for the parish of Bierton go back to 1294 when Robert de Thame was appointed vicar. There is evidence that a church existed here even before this as the font within the church dates to the time of the Saxons.

St James the Great Church is thought to date back to 14th century and the main structure has changed very little since then. In the 15th/16th centuries the walls of the north and south aisles were raised and extra windows added. The present roof and the stained glass windows are 19th century.

The church has 7 fine bells, the oldest dating back to 1678. The bells and bell frame were refurbished in 1972. The bells are rung regularly each Sunday and for special services.

All Saints Church Hulcott

All Saints Church is a beautiful little church nestling on one side of Hulcott village green.

There is evidence that parts of the nave are pre 14th century and the church appears to have been added to during the 15th and 16th centuries. The wooden framed bell turret is thought to be 15th century and contains 3 bells which unfortunately are not safe to ring.

The first recorded rector of All Saints was John de Burton, appointed in 1270.